Monday, August 5, 2013

Breakfast of Champions

  We have always been a breakfast loving family. Maybe it's from growing up on a farm, but a hearty breakfast has always been important. I have never been able to understand those who can make a breakfast from a large soft drink. Since we retired, we have more time to enjoy a leisurely breakfast and we make it our biggest meal of the day, usually just snacking or having small meals later in the day.



  Breakfast almost always starts with 2 eggs (homegrown) and 2 slices of Great Harvest whole grain toast with berry freezer jam (homegrown). Then add fruit, whatever is available from the garden or in off season, from the store. Right now we have tomatoes, blackberries and melons. In winter time, it is usually strawberries and cantaloupe from Florida. Add a couple cups of Eight O'Clock coffee from freshly ground beans and a few ounces of grape juice and there you have it. Also included is the morning paper, crossword puzzle and a few rounds of Words with Friends on the Iphone, concluding with the daily Bible reading. 
  It is an important part of our day, one we always look forward to; a good time of food and fellowship with Rita before moving on with the day. 

 Rita has a friend over today and just as I am making this post, she called me to lunch with this: 
  No, not the whole thing!. Just a big slice of this toasted BLT with homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers with cream cheese. Yumm!
  What did you have for breakfast today?

9 comments:

  1. What, no grits? No, that does look like a breakfast of champions, just as it is. We love a good breakfast too and my husband cooks a lot of them as he wakes so early. I love Great Harvest bread! Ever go in the shop in Green Hills where it's made and buy it hot out of the oven? The smell is wonderful in there.

    Your melon and tomatoes look good and that BLT does also. Yum!

    I thought about making a Breakfast of Champions board on Pinterest but then realized that the two breakfasts of ours that I showed pictures of on it were probably not what most people consider healthy--waffles and pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pancakes and waffles. We usually have them when we eat out...I really like The Egg and I in Murfreesboro.

    We used to have a Great Harvest bakery in Murfreesboro but they closed, so we have to go to Green Hills or they carry some at Kroger in Brentwood. We first learned of GH in Salem, Oregon. They come out of Montana, you know.

    Rita likes grits more than I..I guess we are not true Southerners!


    ReplyDelete
  3. This morning it was Raisin Bran with skim milk, home made fresh tomato juice, and instant coffee with milk. Many mornings it's whole grain buttered toast and a fresh fruit and yogurt smoothie. When I really want to live it up, my favorite breakfast is fried ham on buttered toast that has been spread with grape jelly! Weird, I know :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a teenager, I loved to make fried egg sandwiches with blackberry jam. So I understand.

      I think I'd have a problem with raisin bran and skim milk though! Instant coffee, too. :-)

      Delete
    2. Mr. Granny went to K-cups, and I don't like the taste of the coffee or the expense. I bought a jar of Folgers Classic Roast instant, thinking it would be gross (the way I remembered instant coffee), and was surprised at how much I liked it! I don't like my coffee very strong, so I can make it to suit my taste.

      Delete
  4. Holy moly! That reminds me of my Grandma serving a slice of homegrown tomatoes with breakfast. I had a bowl of Ancient grains cereal with almond milk. I had homegrown eggs yesterday though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we usually have fruit, but I like tomatoes with eggs. They go together well.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a delicious and healthy meal. I'm a big believer in breakfast too -- get the day started right. Thanks for your kind words about our bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you! We are sad that our Murfreesboro store closed last year. Have always wondered why, as it seemed to have a lot of business.

      Delete