Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Garden Update and Miscellaneous

  Between being busy with Ebay stuff and some more weather, I have had to minimize the garden this past week. I did get the blackberry rows all pruned and weeded.
  Another inch of rain this morning and more corn down.

  As you know, this has happened 3 or 4 times earlier. I have just left it alone and in a few days it tries to straighten up. So we have some L shaped corn now but it is still making ears:

  Some of the tomatoes are diseased and I am pulling them, but several still doing well.
 This Husky cherry tomato still doing well. Husky is my favorite.

  The 9 pullets are laying well....8 or 9 eggs a day and getting larger all the time.

  The cucumbers are about done.  The Japanese long was a disappointment, but the Summer Dance will be a favorite next year. All the melons are done, so just tomatoes, okra, a few sweet peppers and a few cucumbers remain, with some sweet corn to come in a week or three. Time to start Fall garden prep.
  And before I go, here is a recent picture of Caleb.He's a happy boy!





8 comments:

  1. We missed the rain here today, or rather it missed us! But our men were working in Hendersonville today and got rained out. I really hate to complain about the rain but was so happy to see the sun today.

    Do you have much in a fall garden? My father always had a big fall garden in Florida. Those eggs look great. We are now getting to buy ours at a young couple's place down the road from us. I haven't seen yolks that orange in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain has really been widely scattered recently, hasn't it? But we get our share!
      I have never done much of a fall garden. I may have too many projects on my plate to do it this year.
      I am going to edit this post now to add a new picture of Caleb, which I forgot before!

      Delete
  2. It's hard to believe that here we are, thinking about garden cleanup already! What will you put in your fall garden? By this time of year, I'm about done, and ready for a break! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never done much of a fall garden and have so many projects that I may not get to it.
      I'm going to build some cold frames/raised beds with lids plus chicken wire lids but probably won't get it done in time to plant.

      Delete
  3. You've had quite a time with your corn! Even with all of our wind, my corn only went down once and then straightened itself out. I didn't get a great harvest from it though. I got about the same yield as last year, even though I planted twice as much. I don't know how successful my fall garden will be. Beans are great, lettuce just OK, and spinach a failure (I'll give it one more try). I doubt my melons will ripen in time, and the cabbages are iffy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I tried planting a higher density on my corn this year and I think that lead to weaker stalks. Back to the normal spacing next year.

      Delete
  4. How beautifully lush and green things look around your place - lovely! Seems like you can grow most anything you want to. We are challenged here by altitude (3400 feet) and a short growing season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Great to hear from you. It has been a rainy year and we did not get the usual July-Aug drying out.
      I am familiar with your area....all our life until 2005 was in Boise, Moses Lake and Salem.

      Delete