Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Selling Calves

  We sold the 2 weaned bull calves, Baxter and Bogart on Monday. I went to the mailbox today to get the check, hoping for the best. I thought they were the right kind, but I needed confirmation from the professional buyers. WOW! Hard to believe, but Baxter at 4.5 months weighed 500 pounds and brought nearly $800. Bogart, at just shy of 4 months, weighed 400# and brought nearly $700. I'm sure glad to be selling and not buying, at those prices.

  That isn't the best picture, but it's all I had. These 2 boys are the first 2 calves from our bull, Buster. We have 5 more on the way for next winter and spring.


  I also sold one of the cows a couple weeks ago. Since we kept 2 heifers, Annie and Abby, we just had too many for the feed we have. Lucky had just weaned Bogart so she was the furthest from calving again. She was also the biggest.....she would eat more as well as bring more $$$ sold by the pound. So that was the short straw for her. I bought her 2 1/2 years ago as a bred heifer for $1000. She had 2 calves....Abby and Bogart......and brought $990, so I was happy with that.
  So now we have 3 cows, 2 bred heifers and a bull. No more babies until November.
  We have a real nice break in the weather today. Monday was 88 degrees and 80% humidity; just too warm to do much outside.  But today was 78 degrees with 40% humidity; a little like Fall and very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment