Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Very Rainy July

  This has been an extraordinarily wet month and it is ending in a fitting way....more rain today. As of this hour we have received 10.5 inches in July and 44.5 inches year to date. Normal is 4.5 for July and 43 YTD.


  It doesn't take much rain for this corner of the pasture to collect water. I intend to put a drain pipe in to get the water out to the barrow pit, but that project is on my B list and the A list is pretty long right now!
  We lived in Corvallis, Oregon in 1968, my senior year at Oregon State Univ. Average rainfall is similar there to here in Tennessee, but we received 64" there in 1968, which I believe was a record. With 5 months to go yet in 2013 and over 44" in the bucket, we might challenge that number in Middle Tennessee this year.

4 comments:

  1. I saw this on the national news last night. I wish we could get some of that moisture out here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could too. I think our July rainfall is about a year's worth in Boise!

      Delete
  2. I certainly don't remember a summer like this as long as I've lived here. Much better than the drought years though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I keep reminding myself of that when I complain about the rain. We have done very little watering of the garden and flowers, and the pastures have loved the rain!

      Delete