Thursday, July 18, 2013

Digging Potatoes and Onions

  The potatoes and onion tops had completely matured and dried up so I dug the onions a few days ago and battled the humid heat today to dig half the potato row.



  First I raked up the straw mulch and gave it to the chickens to "process". I'll clean out the chicken run in a week or two and put it right back on this row to prepare for sweet corn next year.

  The potatoes are Yukon Gold. There are some Red Norland at the other end which I'll dig tomorrow. This half row netted 55 pounds.....various sizes from small to medium to these winners of the size competition, each one weighing 11 ounces. That is a 12 inch ruler behind them.

  I haven't weighed the onions yet. They are still drying on the rack. These are mostly Candy (in the foreground) and Walla Walla in the rear with a few reds.

  Overall, the Candy are larger but the Walla Walla are good sized and more of them. Here are the winners of the size competition. WW on the left and Candy on the right. each is about 6" and weighed 1 lb 2 oz. each.

  We have had nearly 8 inches of rain so far in July and 42 inches year-to-date....way more than average. A week ago we had a very windy storm that dumped 1.75" and did this to some sweet corn.

  The corn on the left is more mature and nearly ready to eat and it stood strong, but the downed corn was nearly ready to tassel and went flat. I cut it and fed it too the cows. We have been enjoying sweet corn for a couple of weeks, we'll have more by the end of July and I have a late planting for mid September, but this that was lost was the late August corn.
  We are still picking blackberries every 2-3 days, summer squash, lots of cucumbers, tomatoes coming on strong. Some beautiful cantaloupe on the way as well as a big crop of butternut squash.
 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful onion and potato harvest! I've been happy with my Yukon Gold and Red Norlands, both sized up really well and the yields were good. The russets, on the other hand, were disappointing, as was my Walla Walla onion harvest. This is the first year the Walla Wallas haven't performed well for me. Too bad about the corn, but at least you have the cattle so could put it to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll replant these varieties next year...probably add a Russet potato and an onion that is a better keeper then these big sweets. I had a meatloaf sandwich this evening with a big slice of fresh tomato and a slice of sweet Walla Walla. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like your garden is doing quite well! You wouldn't want to see mine! (or maybe it's that I'd be embarrassed for you to see it...) The plants are producing quite well, but the grass has overgrown my potato row. It has turned horribly hot and humid this week, and with the moisture we've had, things got a bit out of control. I guess I'd better dig my potatoes (Norland Red) and get rid of that grass soon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I battle the grass as well. Mostly crab grass. I'm always mowing, edging, pulling, even spraying...seems no end to it.
      Stay cool and safe; this weather is a killer.

      Delete
  4. Nice taters! I saw you came to visit my blog, so I checked yours out, nice! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy.

      I grew up in Boise (Eagle, actually). Still have 2 sisters and bro-in-laws in Meridian.

      Delete