Monday, July 8, 2013

Baseball Trip

  Saturday and Sunday, the "guys" in the family (myself, Dave, Steve and Jackson - son, son-in-law, and oldest grandson (we'll do another in a few years with you, Caleb)), trekked to Cincinnati to see the Reds play our Seattle Mariners.

  Notice that we are all wearing our Mariner's caps. It was a somewhat rainy day, but the light showers were never really enough to get us wet, although as you see in the picture, some folks donned raincoats and umbrellas. About mid-game on it was completely dry, and the temperature was very comfortable.
  Our Mariners were the underdogs, but won 2 of the 3 game series. Unfortunately, the game they lost was the one we attended! Nonetheless, it was very fun, we had great seats just 14 rows up and just past the Mariner dugout. We ate some great pizza after the game. And because at least 11 Mariners struck out (oh my!) La Rosas gave a free small pizza to all ticket holders. So we picked up 4 of them Sunday morning for lunch on the way home.
  It was a good experience...Cincinnati has great fans and everyone was very nice. We had nice motel rooms that we picked up on Priceline, and an excellent breakfast buffet at the motel Sunday morning.
  On the drive home, I stayed on I-75 mistakenly instead of taking I-71 and we were nearly to Lexington before we realized it. But no problem; Dave navigated us with his smart phone maps through the back roads of some of the beautiful Kentucky bluegrass horse country and it was gorgeous!  The we stopped at Chaney's Dairy barn south of Bowling Green for an ice cream cone. I recommend it highly!


  We've been here in Tennessee 8 years and this was my first trip into Kentucky. Rita and I are going to go back soon and see some Amish settlements as well as the bluegrass country.

4 comments:

  1. I love going to baseball games...but "my team" would be the Phillies, of course! (not such a good team this year, but oh well...) I'd say that wrong turn looks like it was worth it. Bluegrass country and ice cream... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed! It was absolutely beautiful to this old country boy! And they had banana ice cream with "20 bananas in every batch", not the banana extract stuff. Yummm!

      Delete
  2. How fun! The one and only Mariners game I attended was at the King Dome, way back in 1983, with The Beach Boys in concert. I remained an avid Mariners fan right up until Jay Buhner and Edgar Martinez retired, then lost interest, but Raul Ibanez' home runs are now piquing my interest a bit :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those were the good ole' days! Edgar is still my favorite Mariner ever. I took Dave to see Ken Griffey Jr. when Dave was 11 or 12 and Junior was a first year minor leaguer. We've been Mariner fans ever since. Now Jackson is 9 and just learning the game.

      Delete