Monday, July 1, 2013

Cucumbers and More !!

  Well, I just hadn't been looking close enough for a few days and this wonderful growing weather we are having is producing results. Yesterday I picked 35 pounds of cucumbers!

  These are Japanese Long and Summer Dance. The darker green ones at the top are Summer Dance, and so far I like them best. Both are tender and tasty.

  Here are some other discoveries. I put my big hand next to some of these to help judge the size. Here are some cantaloupe, baseball size or larger.

  Butternut squash

Golden Crown watermelon

Pumpkin

Kandy Korn Sweet Corn

The asparagus is looking good, preparing for next year

Even though I haven't properly trellised my grapes yet, we are going to have a few this year.

And lots of tomatoes soon. That red Sweet 100 cherry tomato mysteriously disappeared right after I took the picture !!


So far, this is shaping up to be a very good garden year.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I wonder what happened to the tomato? :) Those are some big cucumbers! Either you are good at taking pictures that hide the weeds, or else you have been doing a lot of hoeing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You caught me twice! I have been snitching the cherry tomatoes as they are ripening just 1 or 2 at a time so far!

      I have been doing a lot of weeding, but to be honest, I use "photographer's discretion" when taking pictures. There are always weeds...actually, I fight grass, especially crab grass, much more than weeds.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Ray! You're way ahead of me in the garden department. Hey, I know about those disappearing tomatoes, it happens here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really amazing what the last week or ten days of hot weather and rain showers has done for the garden. And the pasture is in great shape as well.

      Delete
  3. The cucumbers look wonderful! I bet they will be on the 4th menu! I just showed my husband your last couple of posts--he always likes looking at them--and I think he's going out now to lecture our one cucumber plant that it ought to be ashamed. I wish my dad were still alive. He would have so much enjoyed seeing your garden and talking growing with you. When he was in his 70s and pretty much retired, a company from Japan talked him into growing them big fields of red cabbage. They use it instead of artificial red coloring there. He did that for about 4 years for them until he wasn't able to anymore. Like you, he was the son of a farmer and never got over his love of it.

    Happy 4th to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dewena. You are most gracious. I do so much enjoy the gardening, as well as talking about it with anyone who will stand still!

      Delete