Thursday, June 27, 2013

Blackberry Time

  The weather is HOT (98 today with a heat index of 113), and everything is growing and ripening fast. The blackberries are coming on strong, so it is blackberries with breakfast, blackberry cobbler, and soon....more blackberry freezer jam to put away.
  The berries are thornless, mostly Natchez and Apache, and very large and juicy.



  Daily pickings of summer squash and a few blueberries.

And the gladiolus are in full bloom to add some color to the garden.

  Also spotted today: 2" long cucumbers, cantaloupe the size of a golf ball, and tiny green beans as well as LOTS of big green tomatoes.

4 comments:

  1. Your glads are beautiful! I planted some this year...they were favors from my Mom's 80th birthday party, and I almost forgot to plant them! It will be a while 'til they bloom, since I was late. Those blackberries look good...berry season is delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alica. I have to stake them or the wind breaks them off, but I sure enjoy them. I have some mini-glads in the same bed that bloom a little later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Blackberry cobbler! And we're in for a few cooler days, which will be wonderful. I'm heading outside early in the mornings while it's here to try to catch up with a few outdoor things. Maybe even the Fourth will be nice! I hope you and your family have a delicious Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dewena. You all have a great Fourth as well.

      Delete