Thursday, June 13, 2013

New Harvest

  The hot weather is bringing many of the garden crops along quickly. And it's also hard to keep up with the weeding, although we have had frequent enough rains that irrigating has not been an issue yet.
  Here is today's basket: onions, potatoes, carrots, snow peas and cherry tomato

  I pulled a Walla Walla and 2 Candy onions while weeding, for thinning purposes. The Walla Walla onions look great...and near 100% survival of the 50 sets.

The Candy onions are nearly as good, with maybe 90%.

The Texas Sweets are a near bust; I'll be lucky to get a half dozen, and the Reds aren't much better, maybe a dozen.


The Yukon Gold potato vines have started dying back just the past 2-3 days, so I explored a little and came up with those you see in the basket. Some really big ones...very nice!

The Kandy Korn sweet corn is not far from tasseling. I had planted a earlier variety but it didn't germinate, so this is the earliest we will have, but I have 4 plantings of 3 other varieties coming on and will plant 2-3 more times.

You noticed the little red cherry tomato in the basket? I waited too long to cage my tomatoes and it was a chore and had to sacrifice a few branches, but all survived and the Sweet 100 cherry tomato is coming on!

I have an Early Girl with some nice sized green ones, so not long until tomato time. I planted way too many, so we'll have tomatoes to give away.

I have picked asparagus nearly every day for 2 months, but stopped yesterday, even though tender shoots were available. Time to let the plants rest and replenish for next year.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely harvest basket! I notice your Candy onions aren't flopping over like the Walla Wallas. Most all of my Walla Wallas have flopped, I may have to try Candy next year. A tomato already! I've had green ones hanging on for so long, I don't think they are EVER going to ripen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but as of right now, the Walla Wallas are larger. We'll see. My bro-in-law in Meridian, Idaho grows Candy onions.

      I just picked a handful of yellow raspberries a few minutes ago, also!

      Delete
  2. New potatoes are the best! I just dug a few for lunch today, because I just "had to" see what was down there. The cherry tomato looks good enough to eat! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are really good. Kinda fun getting those first ones, isn't it?

      I just picked a handful of yellow raspberries a few minutes ago, also!

      Delete
    2. Yellow raspberries? I've never heard of those. We have had about 4 red raspberries so far!

      Delete
    3. Yes, I planted 2 varieties. One was Anne, I think the other was Fall Gold or something. They are supposed to bear mostly in the Fall.

      My red raspberries have me confused though. I'll have to take some pictures and make a post and see if anyone in blog land can help.

      Delete