Friday, June 21, 2013

Garden Challenges - Wind, Bugs & Birds

  We had a "pop up" storm yesterday afternoon; lasted about an hour and dumped .6" of rain. Pretty localized storm, but the big thing was strong winds with it, blowing right out of the north. (Most of our rain comes from the south or southwest.)


  Here is what it did to my first and third sweet corn plantings.


  I straightened it up as best I could. Stomped the wet dirt down next to the roots, and even used a few stakes and twine. Hope to salvage most of it. Seems like this happens every year, but this might be the worst.
  Spotted the first Japanese beetles and squash bugs today. So the battle begins for garden supremacy...man against bug.
  The yellow squash is producing well and the zucchini is starting (in fact, Rita just brought me a hot buttered crust of zucchini bread! Mmmm...Mmmm)

  The Walla Walla and Candy onions continue to grow rapidly, even though the tops have started breaking over. getting some good size to them.

The blackberries are ripening fast and the birds, especially mocking birds, are always lurking. Here is our defense.


  Uncle Charlie is hanging out 24/7, pie tins banging against steel posts, and notice the ribbon. I wish I could post a movie; it is holographic reflective "Scare Tape" I got from Jung Seeds. When the breeze hits it it looks like a laser beam, and when the wind picks up, it sounds like distant thunder. I like it!

4 comments:

  1. Ugh...I forgot about Japanese beetles! I'm not looking forward to them...they destroy my roses! That's a lot of rain in a short time!! I hope your corn can recover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alica. Yes, they are voracious things. We didn't have them in the west; I remember when we drove here 8 years ago, we saw one on the windshield somewhere in Arkansas and didn't know what it was!

      Delete
  2. Wind, rain....welcome to my world! It has been cold for ten days, rained buckets this morning, but now the sun is out and I swear I can see the corn and squash growing! I'm not far behind you with the zucchini and yellow squash! My corn went down in the wind, but it stood itself back up in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Boise was getting that kind of weather, so stands to reason you are too. Things do grow like crazy in summer heat after rain, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete