Saturday, June 8, 2013

Grand Kids, Scarecrow & Garden

  We had all 4 Grand Kids here overnight last night. Katie is recuperating well from surgery but still needs a break every few days. Brittany and Katie returned from church camp yesterday and Wendy and Steve are in Destin, FL celebrating their 20th anniversary; be back tomorrow. Today, Rita with some help from Jackson and Katie (while Brit watched Caleb) made a scarecrow to stand watch over the ripening blackberries. Pretty menacing guy!

  Looks like we'll have a bumper crop if we keep the birds away.

  Also looks like we will have a few blueberries....finally!

I kiped a few Red Norland spuds from under the vines. We microwaved these......kiped some more and Rita made a delicious potato salad.

We'll have summer squash in a few days from the first planting. the second planting is blooming and I planted a third time yesterday.

Of the 12 chicks we got in February, 3 turned out to be roosters. They are handsome fellas. Wendy is taking Big Red, and a friend is taking the 2 Black Australorps. The 9 pullets should start laying in 3-4 weeks.

Jackson graduated third grade at Cedar Hall School. A very nice ceremony for all 40 some kids, from 3rd to 8th grade.  http://cedarhallschool.org/  Look at this handsome guy!  All the kids memorized and recited a poem or scripture of their own choice. Jackson's was "A Little Brother Follows Me". A tear jerker!

Speaking of handsome guys, here is a little one that likes his bath time! The sun coming through the blinds gave him a halo effect! How appropriate ;-)

Here's a good picture of Caleb with Papa.

Gotta love it !!

8 comments:

  1. Jackson and Caleb are so cute and you and your wife are blessed. I'm so glad the boys' mother is feeling better all along. Thank goodness you two are there to help out.

    Those new potatoes are beautiful! How long before you'll be having blackberry cobbler? And fresh eggs soon! Now this is what you wait all winter for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dewena, we are blessed indeed.

      The blackberries are much later than last year and 2011; they are red now so I'm hoping by the end of June.

      The raspberries have me confused. I'll take some pictures soon and see if any readers can help me know what's going on.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ray, it has just come to my attention this week that when I've been answering some commenters by email that they were a "no-reply" commenter. In other words, all this time that I've thought you were receiving my answers to your comments on my blog, they were going nowhere. I did answer every one of them! I thought they were getting to you. I used to be a no-reply commenter and Betty at Southern Grace showed me how to correct it as it's a matter of changing some of the settings. There are some good blog posts about it when you google it telling you the steps to take. Meanwhile, I started this morning answering comments on my blog under your comment, as you do here. My question, was my answer sent to your email? Yours is to mine. I hope so where the reader doesn't have to come back to my post to read my reply to them. Thanks, Ray!

      Delete
    3. Hi Dewena,
      Yes, this message came through on my email.
      Ray

      Delete
  2. I can hardly believe how quickly things in the garden are growing! My zucchini plants look like they're just a little bit behind your yellow squash, and I haven't dug for any Norland Reds yet, but it won't be long! I just wish the weeds wouldn't grow just as fast! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a fact? I weeded quite awhile the last 2 days just to try to keep up. This is the time of year when weeds can take over a garden.

      We are expecting 90s this week, though we have a nice rain today.

      Delete
  3. Your garden is so way ahead of mine. This is the latest garden I have ever had.

    I love the pictures of the grands. The baby is adorable. No more for us; I guess we will have to wait for great grands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda, some things in our garden are actually late also, especially the berries. But things will grow this week.....over an inch of rain Fri-Sat and 90's this week!

      Delete