Friday, May 3, 2013

Plant Now; More Rain Coming!

  The storm system that has been wreaking havoc all across the continent will hit us tonight. 2.5" rain expected starting tonight, after 2.5" last weekend.
  So I have been trying to take advantage of the nice days this week and finish most of the spring planting. Before I could do that I had to catch up on mowing, weeding and edging. This may not be typical weather, but it is good grass growing weather.

Picked the first ripe strawberry this week. See the red one?

The blackberries are promising a good crop.

I have struggled to establish blueberries, but half a dozen bushes are loaded this year.

The Red Norland potatoes are blooming and the Yukon Gold aren't far behind.

The raised bed on the right has some leaf lettuce, spinach and the remaining snow peas the rabbits didn't get. Asparagus beds in middle of the picture are in full production.

This is a normal daily cutting.

After 2 years of tilling in lots of composted cow manure in the fall followed by a winter cover crop, these beds tilled up nicely.

  I set out tomato plants, peppers, cilantro, sweet basil and yellow squash. Planted cucumbers, beets, cantaloupe and more pole beans.

These back 2 beds are 6' x 52'. I plant winter squash, melons and pumpkins here. But first I had to pull a few weeds and lots of volunteer wheat from the straw I scattered last fall. Here is a before and after....2 hours either bending from the waste or on all fours pulling green stuff. (And the doctor asks if I get regular exercise!) 
The row on the right was half done before I took the picture.


  After that, I planted butternut squash, watermelon, cantaloupe and pumpkins.

Remember this picture from Katie's shower? The onesy I got for Caleb?

Here he is wearing it.

It was a good week! Stay safe and well until next time.

6 comments:

  1. Look at those strawberries! I can hardly wait...mine are blossoming, but it will be late May or early June before they're ripe. How do you keep your gardens looking so perfect?! I guess it's from bending at the waist and crawling on all fours! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ripe strawberries in Tennessee and baling hay in Pennsylvania! Go figure!

      I am feeling the results of the weed pulling right now!

      Delete
  2. Caleb has grown! Aren't you so proud to see him in his farm outfit?

    Ray, you really ought to be ashamed of yourself, you know. Can you imagine what bloggers like Mary Ann from Kansas would say looking at your lush gardens already, when it's still winter there? I do hope the rains pass through quickly without much harm although Ron Howard said tonight that they'll linger over us until Tuesday. These days will probably be a good time to help your wife out inside the house. (Do you dare tell her I suggested that?)

    I do have to give you the Award for Neatest Garden though. Very pretty.
    Stay dry,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Caleb is growing fast. He seems bigger every time I see him. Runs in the family. I was always a big boy, and Dave weighed 10 lb 14 oz when he was born!

      You know Dewena, I do feel guilty at times! This has been such a bad Spring for so many folks. I'm trying to not complain too much about all the rain...I remember last year when it got so dry that I had to feed hay in May-June.

      Delete
  3. Simply beautiful colours...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It has been so green here this spring; reminds us of Western Oregon in the springtime.

      Delete