Thursday, May 9, 2013

10 Acres Is Enough


  I imagine this little book is familiar to many readers, but it is new to me. I haven't finished reading the entire book yet, but I am enjoying it so much.
  Edmund Morris published this book in 1867. He recounts his family's life as they sold their Philadelphia business in 1855 and became debt free, settling on 11 acres outside of Philadelphia. They proceeded to make a fine living off 10 acres of fruit tress and berries.
  In addition to the very interesting details of establishing this little farm, Morris imparts a treasure trove of philosophy and wisdom. I am sure I will incorporate bits and pieces into many future blog posts.
For starters, here is a good one:

  "I knew that I was not rich, but it was certain that I was not poor. In contrasting my condition with that of others, both higher and lower upon fortune's ladder, I found a thousand causes for congratulation, but none with regret.
  With all his wealth, Rothschild is compelled to be satisfied with the same sky that was spread over me. He cannot order a private sunrise to enjoy with a select circle of friends, nor can he add a single glory to the gorgeous spectacle of the setting sun. The millionaire cannot have more than his share of the pure atmosphere that I was breathing, while the poorest of all men can have as much. 
  God only can give all these, and to many of the poor he has thus given. All that is most valuable can be had for nothing. They come as presents from the hand of the Creator, and neither air nor sky, nor beauty, genius, health or strength can be bought or sold.
  Whatever one's condition in life, the great art is to learn to be content and happy - indulging in no feverish longings for what we do not have, but to be satisfied and thankful for what we have."
  - Edmund Morris in Ten Acres Is Enough



No comments:

Post a Comment