Friday, May 17, 2013

Picture Friday - Rain & Blossoms

  Rain today....2 inches predicted through the weekend. I went outside between showers this morning to snap some pictures. It is always most beautiful after the rain.




Bogart enjoying a late breakfast while Baxter and Pandy check out the cameraman.

Remember this rose bed after pruning...

Same view today....

Knock Out roses on the berm are blooming well; day lilies are budding.

Potatoes and onions are thriving.

Can't wait for these luscious blackberries to ripen....


As well as the raspberries and blueberries...


  Yesterday I replanted the pole beans and sweet corn that didn't germinate earlier. Put in a few sweet potato slips and planted okra. The cantaloupe, cucumbers, beets and yellow squash are up and loving this rain. Tomatoes and peppers starting to get their feet under them. They should take off now that 85-92 highs and 55-65 lows are forecast following this rain. 

6 comments:

  1. Everything looks picture perfect! I agree, things always look so fresh after the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mowed 2 days early yesterday, knowing it would be wet until Monday. The only downside to the rain is that I committed to buy 40 round bales of hay that is baled but still in the field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, lovely, lovely! I wish my husband enjoyed gardening and yard work ;-) You still get more rain in a day than we've had all year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I well remember the dryness of Eastern Washington. We actually get as much or more rain here than we did in Salem, Oregon. About 54" a year.

      My wife has the good taste and judgement in yard design. I've learned from her, and now her arthritis in her hands prevent her from doing much physically, so I am the primary "doer".

      Delete
  4. Bogart is so cute! You're using all my favorite colors in your beds! Just showed my husband your garden pictures again. We envy you your good garden loam! Yes, I think summer is going to finally arrive here in TN and everything will grow like crazy. I know you can't wait for the first vegetables for your meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The daylilies are starting to bloom, so with the Knock Out roses, we are pretty much red and yellow. Some pink here and there and we like white.

    We have from 8-16 inches of pretty good soil on most of the area; under that is red clay with gravel in it. I'm trying to build up the garden beds with all this cow manure that we have!

    ReplyDelete