Monday, May 13, 2013

Garden Update...and Lessons Learned

  A gorgeous 70 degree day with all sunshine today. Supposed to be that way all week, then quite rainy the rest of the month.
  I think I get in a hurry! The early tomatoes and peppers I set out under cloches are no farther along than those I set out last week. Most of the early corn and pole beans are going to have to be re-seeded. Didn't even germinate. Next year I think I will check soil temperatures and be more patient.
  Some things are doing great. I hope the potatoes beneath the ground are doing as well as the tops above the ground. They are tall and beautiful. The asparagus is still producing daily, and the leaf lettuce and spinach are also doing very well. The strawberries are so-so....it's a battle keeping the birds away, and of the 4 varieties, only one is living up to expectations. I will re-plant most of them for next year. Any variety suggestions?

  Here is today's harvest with help from grandson Jackson and Obie. Jackson suggested we combine all these things with some walnuts and bleu cheese for a fine salad!

I have high hopes for a big blackberry harvest. Last night was 39 degrees, but there should be no more frost danger.

  Here's hoping the crazy weather is past us and not many of you were hurt by frost, wind or whatever else has been ravaging the country.

6 comments:

  1. We have a frost warning again tonight, but after that I think it's to warm up. Yay!

    As for strawberries...I think my Mom always planted a variety called Earliglow. They are (like their name would suggest!) an early variety. I have runners from my neighbor that I will be picking this year for the first. I have no idea what they're called, but I'm looking forward to trying them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you miss the frost.

      I've heard of the Earliglow. May have to try them. I have some Chandler that the Amish in Kentucky grow beautifully, but they aren't doing anything for me.

      Delete
  2. Do you spend all your time edging those beautiful garden beds? I think you have the neatest garden I've ever laid eyes on! Oh, those blueberry blossoms....you're going to have a huge berry harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I have to edge and mow those lanes every 4-5 days. But I really enjoy the way it's laid out.

      I'll keep you posted on the berries.

      Delete
  3. Jackson sounds like he has gourmet taste!

    Some years it just doesn't pay to get things in the dirt. I was just so glad that our forecast frost did not happen and this was one of the most glorious days I've ever seen. We sat outside until the sun went down just enjoying the feel of the air.

    Now I know what the bushes in white bloom were that we drove past today in a neighbor's garden! Blackberries! It looked just like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the blackberries are late this year, but given the spotty frost, it's a good thing.

    Jackson really does have gourmet taste. His Dad & Mom eat out often at different places and he has grown up with it. He and Dave even like raw sushi! I fixed us cheesy nachos after I picked him up at school yesterday and the salsa wasn't hot enough for him !!

    ReplyDelete