Saturday, January 4, 2014

New Year Update

  
  I posted this picture because it represents hope for me. God's beautiful flower creation which I hope and pray to again admire in a few months.

 
Hello friends and family,
 
Here is a weekly update and a look forward.
 
I have been feeling stronger and much more normal this past week. Though the itch persists, we have learned to manage as well as possible.  My weight has stabilized for which we are very thankful, so I can be strong going into the surgery. I have lost about 55# in 2013, but needed to lose that much; the challenge will be to maintain after surgery. My appetite has been great, I have enjoyed eating more than ever, which is a blessing, since many with pancreas problem cause nausea and loss of appetite.
 
I have been able to get around much more this past week. Yesterday, I went out in 21 degree weather, tended the chickens and started the tractor so it would fire right up for Steve when he came to feed. It is a cold blooded diesel and does not like to start in cold weather. Praise God, it started with just 1 shot of starter fluid.  We needed to go to town and I drove for the first time in weeks. It felt so good! We splurged and stopped at Captain D’s for a wonderful fish and cole slaw meal. I probably “overdid it” some but the heart is now strong.
 
We are expecting near record low temps the next 3-4 days. Though it is 45 right now, there is a cold wind blowing about 15 mph. Tomorrow is to be over 50 with rain, then temps plunging with 2” snow, Monday morning 9 with a wind chill of –7,  11/3 on Monday, 20/12 on Tuesday then warming some and the rest of January near normals of 40s hi and 20s lo.
 
I go to Vanderbilt on Tuesday for another CT, then an appointment with my surgeon. Surgery scheduled for Jan 15.
 
Seems as when it rains it pours. Dave and Katie are at the hospital right now (Saturday 1 pm) as Katie has abdominal pain most likely related to her surgery last Spring. Please pray for them and for a good outcome. Caring for Caleb right now is an issue as Dave, Steve and Wendy all must get back to their jobs, my surgery approaches and Rita has her hands full with me, plus she is having shoulder and wrist problems that keep her from lifting Caleb. And in addition to that, Steve and Wendy;s refrigerator went out overnight. They have Jackson and Caleb with them right now as they are out shopping for a new fridge.
 
Please pray for:
 
* Katie and Dave that the outcome of these tests going on right now will be good, for their peace and God’s rest, and for solutions for caring for the boys.
 
* For Steve and Wendy – they are always “on call” and such willing servants; pray for God’s continued strength and peace for them.
 
* For Rita, for relief from shoulder & wrist pain and continued strength. She is my angel !
 
* For our church family at New Heights Chapel, whom we miss so much and so look forward to again worshipping together. The Chapel had a water leak yesterday that did some damage, but services continue, Praise God. So many of you have prayed, called, sent cards, offered help. God bless each one of you.
 
* For good news after my CT and consultation Tuesday. We are expecting a Praise God time.
 
God continues to teach me so much through all this. The devotional book “Jesus Calling” by Sarah Young has been recommended by many of you and Dave got me a copy a few weeks ago. What a blessing! God is in control. All is well.
 
I will send an update after Tuesday.
 
God richly bless each one of you!
 

Ray

8 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you're feeling stronger and able to do more. Continuing to keep you and yours in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying as reading this, Ray, for each need you've listed. and praying for your enjoyment of your spring garden and returned strength to tend it.

    Stay warm this week. R.H. crawled under the house today to check on lightbulbs under the pipes. Almost all had burned out, so good that he did. I wonder what we'll use when there are only the LEDs available?

    I'll be back to check on you next week.
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your continuing prayers, Dewena. Stay warm and safe!

      Delete
  3. Ray ~ I am praying you and Family and Church through the coming week....God has
    His reasons for allowing trials and if we but listen to His voice, we find there is so much to gain in favor and graces when we do our best to work through and endure
    in His Name. Will be following your progress...special prayers for Rita.
    Blessings ~
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,
      The blogging world is amazing. Thank you for your prayers and concern. It means so much to us. Thank you for reading my blog. It started out as you can tell as a gardening blog for the most part. As the focus has shifted during this time of trial, the readership has doubled or tripled. Praise God!

      Delete
  4. Dear friend,
    Your family and you remain in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us informed. Stay safe and warm in this inclement weather.God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Carol. It is about 7 outside right now at 9 am but we are safely tucked inside. I will post again after tomorrow's CT and consultation. We so appreciate your prayers.

    ReplyDelete