Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Update and Pictures



  This picture was Thanksgiving dinner, another wonderful time to give thanks with all 10 family members present. Rita and I center, son Dave left and beautiful granddaughter Katie right.
  Just a little medical update: I am feeling great after the stent implantation. The itching from the jaundice is worse than ever and in itself can be quite exhausting. To be able to sleep, Rita rubs me down with anti-itch lotion and we put a flat freezer pad under the mattress pad under my back. With the house at 68 I sleep with just a sheet covering me. Cool feels good and when my body heat gets going, the itch becomes greater. I wake up about every 2 hours to reapply lotion. My next appointment with the surgeon is Jan 28 when they will do another CT and then he will review it with me and set a surgery date on the pancreas. I wish it were sooner, but I have to finish 30 days on Plavix and then let it clear from my system. I am trusting God in all this.
  I have a 5 pound max limit on what I can lift, so my chores are minimal. I just returned from gathering the eggs and visiting with my red headed poultry friends, but Rita, Steve or Wendy has to feed and water. Steve came by yesterday to take the cows 2 more round bales. Mucky job since we received 3.5" of rain in the past week. Thanks again, Steve. You are a good son-in-law.
  I am journaling my spiritual life during this time and I will blog about it one of these days. God is so good and is teaching me so much.
  My beautiful bride of 46+ years is the world's best home health nurse, especially when the patient is me! (Rita worked as a LPN in Idaho, Oregon and Washington). My appetite remains good, for which I am thankful. I am on a low fat & low sodium diet for the rest of my life, but I am eating like a king, because my nurse is also a great cook! My total weight loss since 1 year ago is now approaching 50 lbs. The good news is that I had it to lose, and after the surgery I am hoping to lose another 10-20.
  Please pray for relief from the itching and for healing because God is able.

Another picture from Thanksgiving, left to right: Steve, Jackson, Dave,Katie,me,Katie, Brittany and Wendy.

Me (yellow grandpa) with a Duck Dynasty birthday card.

  8 1/2 mo. old Caleb with his mama, Katie.

Caleb with big bro Jackson


Beautiful flowers from our wonderful church family


5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are in good spirits, and also to see pictures of your beautiful family! Your positive attitude amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the weight loss! I'm celebrating my 226th day of being under my goal weight, which is indeed cause for celebration. It hasn't been all that difficult, thankfully. Praying you will be more comfortable in the next few weeks. And praying your wife holds up under the pressure ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can believe that Rita certainly is a creative as well as healthy cook from the pictures you have showed on the blog since I've been following you. They always look delicious. And I will pray specifically for the itching too. Losing sleep at night is the last thing you, or anyone, needs.

    You have a great family and adorable grandchildren!

    And I do like your beard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ray and Rita,
    Beautiful family...still in our thoughts and prayers! Neighbors from Morrison,TN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray,
    Thanks for posting the picture of your wonderful family. So nice to be able to see and meet your family from across the miles. Hang in there, all though I know it is not easy for you and for your family. Soon all will be better( even though it is a month away) with God at your side. Great Job Rita!!! Love you,

    ReplyDelete