Saturday, March 9, 2013

Planting seed at last !

  Today was 67 and partly sunny, the ground was pretty well dried up from the last rain, and with over 2" of rain expected Sunday and Monday, it looked like a good time to get some seeds in the ground.
  I planted snow peas, leaf lettuce, spinach and carrots. This 2x12 is the only raised bed I have.



  I planted a 12' row of snow peas on each side of this woven wire fence in another garden bed.

  Even though there was a little breeze at times, I broadcast red and white clover seed on about 5 acres of pasture. The U of Tennessee agronomist recommends broadcasting by the end of February, so I had to get it done. The rain should wash those little seeds into the cracks and crevices where they can root. Got my exercise!  I did it with my handheld broadcast seeder. That was a lot of walking! 

  Also, I had been watching Craig's List all winter for a spike tooth harrow to drag the pasture with and spread out all the cow pies. I didn't find any, so today I "made do" with what I have.  I hooked the lawn de-thatcher on behind the mower and just ran around the south 2 acre pasture until the manure was scattered!

  It did a good job, so maybe I don't need a harrow!

I opened the gate to let the cows into the 1 acre "wet" pasture behind this 2 acres and next week I'll move the hay rings back there so they don't graze the new growth in this pasture until it gets started well.

  It sure felt good to get out and get some things done today. But I'm thinking I will be sore and achy getting out of bed in the morning!

2 comments:

  1. I planted my first bed (Walla Walla onions) today, too. I was sore and achy by the time I finished! I think I'll have to hit the Tylenol before I go to bed tonight, or I might not be able to get up in the morning ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to get some onions in too, but ran out of time. With the rain coming, I'll need to wait again, now.

      I might need some Tylenol right now; I could hardly get out of my chair a bit ago!

      Stay well!

      Delete