Wednesday, March 20, 2013

First Day of Spring!

    Welcome to Spring 2013! Except it looks a lot like yesterday, the last day of winter. Oh well, not too bad of a day.  About 55, mostly sunny and that ever present "breeze"...about 10-15 mph. Maybe you can tell, I don't like wind!
    We had a doozy of a storm pass through Monday mid-day. Jackson and I drove to Smyrna to pick up a load of mulch (the county gives it away in March). As we approached the site, the rain picked up into a virtual downpour; couldn't see very far. We sat in the pickup and waited as no one was in sight. In about 10 minutes the rain slowed to a normal shower and the guy on the giant Volvo front end loader approached and loaded the trailer. Very heavy, as it was wet, but we made it home. Rita called when we were near home and said there was a tornado warning. We found out later that a small EF-0 tornado hit about 10 miles east of us and took the roof off a barn and a house. No one hurt, thankfully.
   So I have been unloading the mulch on the flower beds.
Here is the berm with Knock Out roses, day lilies and monkey grass.

   Other signs of Spring include the blackberries. Last year we had a frost on April 11 and lost 95% of the crop. I am prepared with covering material this year, if needed.
  Signs of life in the new dwarf orchard. Here is the dwarf Elberta Peach.
  I promised more pictures of the chickens. They are running the whole coop yard now, although they scamper to cover when I show up. I had to sneak up to get these pictures. They are nearly 6 weeks old now.

   
   I hope all your Spring time activities are going well.

2 comments:

  1. Your chickens look happy...and so big! Only six weeks old, and they look great! I am so ready for spring! It's been cool and windy here...typical March weather, but one of these days it will get warm,and I'll feel like getting out there and digging in my flower beds. The weeds are waiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little concerned about the chicks' ability to handle the cold; we are having a night now and then in the 20s and 30s but they seem to be fine.
      I was wondering how your weather has been up there. I guess the ole groundhog missed it this year.

      Delete