Monday, January 21, 2013

Looking for Hay

  After buying 25 round bales of hay last summer and an additional 20 last month, I thought I would have enough. But these gals are scarfing it in at a record pace! Yesterday, they were down to the "dregs" but I scattered some grain cubes on it and made them do cleanup work until today. They go digging for the cubes and eat hay in the process. But this morning it was pretty well cleaned up so I put out 2 more bales. Only 12 remain! Here is a picture of the cattle this afternoon. Bellies full of hay and basking in the sun.
  I have purchased hay from 5 different sources in the past 2 years and I'm still looking for someone to sign up with permanently. I made some calls this morning and drove about 10 miles to yet another farm and bought 2 bales. This fellow does practice weed control, so the hay should be clean. He stores them outside so there is some weather damage.  However, they are very tight and large bales...probably over 1000# each. So at $27 it's a pretty good buy.  We'll get the cow's verdict in a few days. I left messages for 2 other growers, so hopefully I can audition them as well!
  It's a sunny 43 outside now with no wind.  Very nice.   Upper teens tonight and low 30's tomorrow.  I plugged in the stock tank heater before I came in.  Much of the country is so cold right now, I'm not complaining.  I see Boise is 14 right now and back to 0 tonight.  I feel for you folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment