Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Gray Skies and Spring Dreams

So, to start the New Year, here we have another drippy day....ugh!  Sunday was a clear sunshiny day and I do absolutely love those days!  Weather report says we will get a few of those coming up before a 2 week stretch of drip the middle of this month.  Rita says it's a "man thing" to be obsessed with the weather and with gas prices.  I guess so.  I'll have to do a post one of these days on gas prices!
So what does one do on these gray days? There is always hope for Spring......
 In addition to the usual trusty varieties I like to try several new things each year.  For 2013 I'm looking at Canesi or Argonaut butternut squash, in addition to the faithful Waltham.  And a Japanese Long cucumber from Baker Creek Seeds. And the Fortex pole bean which several bloggers rave about, in addition to Blue Lake (no more bush beans around here).  Maybe a yellow fleshed watermelon and a few sunflowers.  I saw a nice red sunflower I might try. Most of our cantaloupe are Hale's Best, but I always try something new as well.  Onions will be Walla Walla and Candy but I'll also try the Red Candy.  Potatoes....I think we'll just stay with the Yukon Gold; they do well and we love them. I buy the seed potatoes at the co-op by the pound.  I can pick out the smaller ones about 1-2" diameter and then I don't need to cut them.
 I plant the sweet corn in the 42" wide beds and thus far have put 2 rows per bed.  I'm going to try a 8" spacing on the square....increased plant population and maybe better pollination.
 As you can tell, January is my least favorite month.  But it may be the most hope filled month and it passes quickly. I'll be pruning roses before you know it!

7 comments:

  1. I'm doing the same as you....looking at all the garden catalogs. It's really cold here this week, so there's not much else to do. I did send for my first order of seeds yesterday, so spring can't be too far off!

    I've been growing Fortex for about 3 years now, and I wouldn't have a garden without them! Those and the Waltham butternuts are two of my very favorite crops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the endorsement of the beans. We had always grown bush beans in the Northwest with good results, but here they get so buggy so fast. The pole beans we tried last year had no bugs and just kept producing all summer. So I am putting wire up on a second bed this year to allow for a little rotation.
      Ray

      Delete
    2. Just remember, Fortex get very long but stay tender. I don't usually pick them until they are around 10" long, just before the beans begin to develop inside the pods. They are great for eating fresh, freeze well, and are still tender and tasty if they've been left on the vine too long....cooked as shelly beans.

      Delete
    3. Hey, thanks for the input. I think it was your blog that initially turned me on to this variety.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ray, I'm so glad you found my blog and commented so that I was led to yours. I know my husband will enjoy yours too. I didn't know you could grow Walla Wallas here. They are our favorite and we used to find them in Kroger's in season but no more. Welcome to TN and I hope we can give you more variety in the weather than in the northwest. We spent 3 years in FL and could not wait to come back to the land of 4 seasons. I look forward to following your cattle and gardening experiences. The people we bought this house from kept a few Angus and this was originally a hog farm with the 1920 owner selling sausage locally but it is definitely a hilly spot with ridges surrounding all 4 sides so we have never gone in for animals other than pets.

    A blessed New Year to you and your wife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Great to hear from you!
      I wasn't sure about Walla Walla's either but tried some last year and they were so much better than the generic whites and reds I got at the co-op. My bro-in-law in Idaho grows Candy so I'm trying those this year, too.
      Ray

      Delete
  3. Ray, thanks for dropping by my Missouri blog. We were tbrough part of Tennessee a few years back and both thought we could live there! It is very much like southern Missouri. All of my mother's people came from around the Maury County area and settled in Christian Co., Mo. Thyey were McConnells, Kennamores and Gooches.

    May I suggest another delicious pole bean for you to try: Cherokee Trail of Tears. It and Kwintus are my favorites. I only grow pole beans now too.....in hoop house frames made out of cattle panels.

    I love Candy but was unimpressed with the red version.

    ReplyDelete