Monday, October 7, 2013

Still here!

  I haven't blogged in several days. It's been a little busy with some doctor and medical things to attend to. In fact, I am having breakfast withdrawal as I write....I have a doctor's appointment at 11:00 AM and they will be taking a blood sample, so no food until noon. What a sacrifice!
  This might be a good time to post recent pictures of the herd. Here is Buster...not the best picture, but he is developing into a good looking herd sire.

  He sired the two calves I sold in August, Baxter and Bogart. He has 5 more calves on the way....in November, January, February, March and April.  Here are the 5 cows / heifers due to calve.

  We have been quite dry for several weeks and have missed many area thunderstorms, but yesterday we got 1 inch of needed rain. Hopefully that will give the grass a little kick and I can delay starting hay feeding by a week or two more.
  The storm front brought in cooler temperatures. Saturday was 89 for a high; probably the warmest day we will have until next April or May. The next 2 weeks are forecast in the 70s with lows in the 40's. The first frost at this point is forecast for Nov. 10, which is quite late. The average first frost date is Oct. 17. So we have a month of beautiful Fall weather to enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. So glad for your good weather, and your bull looks like a baby still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Ann,
      The weather is truly beautiful!
      Buster was 2 years old in July. This picture doesn't really show his true size. He has a lot of growing yet to do, but probably weighs 1200# now.

      Delete
  2. You have that I haven't yet... cows. So interesting. It must be need wide land. I just have a little piece and very narrow land. How lucky you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I am very blessed. But we all have different blessings, I think.

      Delete