Friday, October 18, 2013

Feels like October

  We're having a beautiful 65 degree day after a very foggy beginning.


  You can barely see the cows and bull at the hay rings in the center of the above picture. We haven't had frost yet. Wednesday we had a nice .70" rain. The forecast for the remainder of October calls for highs in the 60s and lows in the 30s. First frost should be sometime between next Tuesday and Halloween, which is just about normal.
  I picked a few peppers today, but the tomatoes have really slowed the ripening process, so we'll likely be picking the green ones off soon. We have eaten tomatoes every day for many weeks and we'll miss them.
  The Canby thornless raspberries should arrive any day. Remember the fiasco last spring when we discovered that the Canby raspberries were actually Japanese Wineberries, so I pulled them out. I am hoping Willis Nursery sends some nice replacement plants so I can give them a good review....otherwise.........!!!
  I fed the first round bale of hay a week ago, so the winter feeding season is underway. We are expecting a new calf in about a month, so life goes on!

6 comments:

  1. I think you'll like the Canby raspberries, if only for the fact they are thornless. I'm fighting the neighbor's canes that are growing over the fence, and I've never seen such wicked thorns! I moved my canes to a new location, so I'll be hoping they grow and produce well for me next year. We are having weather similar to yours, sans the fog. Still no killing frost, and none expected in the next week. It sure would be nice to get through October without it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No frost yet? I remember some really cold Halloweens in Moses Lake.

      Delete
  2. Hasn't it felt wonderful, Ray! I love it and my electric bill is so much better. Next month will probably climb higher.

    Your fog picture is beautiful. I do love mornings like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I snapped those pictures quickly, but notice how the orange zinnia looks almost fluorescent.

      Delete
  3. Hey, Ray! I need to get caught up on your blog. You asked what kind of cameras we have in the pasture... I have two... but am only using the Wildgame camera. I also have a Moultrie... I had problems with it, and they replaced it free of charge, so it is in the box and ready to be the backup. I like the Wildgame, it's easy to use and I can get a lot of usage out of the batteries in it.. (double aa) and also, it films videos as well, and they are clear and crisp.

    ReplyDelete