Monday, April 22, 2013

More Planting; Garden Update

  Today was a gorgeous 75 degree day with very little wind. I spent a couple of hours finishing up weeding berry beds....those pesky wild onions (or wild garlic...whatever). Ran the edger along the beds. I love having the beds with grass strips between them but it's a constant battle to keep the grass from encroaching.

  The blackberries buds are just about ready to burst forth into bloom. Last year was so much earlier; they were in full bloom when we had a freeze on April 11 that took about 95% of the crop.It looks like we are safe this year, so looking forward to a great berry harvest.


  I have struggled to establish a row of blueberry bushes, but those that are doing well are blooming nicely.

  I have 3 beds of strawberries blooming well. Two of the beds will likely need to be replaced for next year, but this bed of Quinalt strawberries are looking good. Lots of little green berries. Last year we were picking strawberries on April 5-10.Nearly a month later this year.


  I was going to wait a bit longer but I couldn't help myself, so I planted a 20 ft. double row of pole beans...1/2 Fortex and 1/2 Blue Lake; also, a 20 ft., 4 row bed of sweet corn. (seen in the upper left of the picture below)

  I'm experimenting a bit with the sweet corn. In the past, I have planted a double row in each bed. But I planted 4 rows with a seed on every corner of a 9" square. The beds are about 42-45 in. wide so that worked out well for 4 rows 9" apart. We'll see how that works out. In the photo above, you see the potatoes on the right that continue to do well.
  Only 2/3 of my snow peas came up and this morning I see that rabbits have eaten 1/2 of those nearly to the ground! Going to need a cat or a rifle!

4 comments:

  1. Pesky rabbits! We are so lucky...the rabbits have so much to eat in our fields that they let my garden alone!
    I like the way you have grass in between your garden rows...what a great idea! No mud to walk in when picking, and it looks so neat and tidy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alica, the rabbits have never bothered anything before, but I don't know what else would have done it. The raccoons always try to mess with my sweet corn when it's ripe!
    I really like the grass between the rows, but it's a battle to keep it contained.
    Hope you are getting some good weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's chilly this week, but we had almost 2" of rain on Friday, so as soon as it warms up, things will pop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good rain! It's about time for warmer temps, I say.

    ReplyDelete