Monday, April 15, 2013

Garden & Misc. Update

  Today was a very nice 80 for a high. The ground had dried enough from last Thursday's 1.65" of rain that I could roto-till and get all the remaining garden beds ready for planting. The potatoes are the row on the right. The Norland Reds are ahead of the Yukon Gold at this point. Middle row is onions. The Walla Walla's look best and the Reds are way behind. The third row from the right will be summer squash, and I stretched the wire on the 1/2 row for pole beans.

  These are the "back" garden beds. The snow peas in the foreground. The rest of these rows will be sweet corn, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and okra. 

  I wanted to get some planting done today, but I ran out of gas (me, not the roto-tiller!) I put the cows in the south pasture along with a new 6x6 bale of hay. By the way, we had another bull calf born 3 days ago. His mama has been very protective so today was the first time I got close enough for a picture. This is Bogart.

  He is the second calf from our young herd sire, Buster. Buster was just 11 months old when Bogart and Baxter were conceived. They are both really nice calves, so I'm happy I kept Buster. Baxter is a really big bull calf. Here he is at just 3 weeks old:

  And I must not make a post without more pictures of our new grandson. Caleb is a super fine little guy! He is so mellow; really never cries, just whimpers occasionally. Here I am holding him in his "Off to Grandma's" suit.

  And here is proud daddy Dave with his 2 boys.
 
  I'm thankful for family, health, springtime, and sunshine!

2 comments:

  1. And well you should be thankful for that family and sweet little Caleb and his big brother, and for all those handsome bulls whose names start with B.

    Hasn't the sunshine been wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dewena. Yes, indeed, we have a wonderful family.
    And I have a whole list of B names for future handsome bulls! I was going to go with A names for heifers, but after Annie and Abby it kinda fizzled out!
    The sunshine is great. We sat on the back porch tonight until dusk and it was so warm.
    Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete