Friday, February 21, 2014

Cow news and medical update



  I haven't been able to get out for recent pictures of the cows. Wendy snapped this last month to show me in the hospital. Since then, 3 of the 5 cows have calved so we have 3 little Angus babies running and playing.
  I have made a big decision. I am selling the cows. So far I just mentioned it to 3 neighbors and 2 people have interest already. It's possible that if we can't sell the herd together, we might wait until late summer when the calves are weaned and then sell.
 There are just too many projects that would need to be done before next year and I am in no shape for rodeoing. I have enjoyed them for 4 years and I will just go ahead with the chickens and garden; easier to handle.
 We met the oncologist yesterday for  a consultation and chemo may start in a couple of weeks. 2 months chemo, 2 months radiation plus different chemo, then 2 months repeat chemo. I will see Dr. Lisa White Monday to schedule time to place a port under the skin so I don't need to be stuck every time I get chemo or IV.
  Our oncologist, Dr. Gian, was recommended by Dr White, and we love him. He prayed with us and prays for all his patients daily.
  My biggest challenge now is to gain strength. I have lost 83# since 1 year ago, 53 of it since November, and I am skin and bones. My appetite is good but I get physically full too soon. My GI tract was altered during surgery and just hasn't expanded enough yet. So I try to eat several times a day, but I feel full most of the time. I am able to walk around the house with neither walker or cane. I used a cane yesterday going to the doctor's appointments. We also saw my family doctor yesterday. He altered my meds as my blood pressure and pulse rate are still too high.
   Please pray that I can eat more, gain strength and begin chemo strong.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update...still praying!
    I'll bet those calves are cute...I'm partial to the little black angus babies! Once in a while we get a Hosltein/Angus cross breed, and they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alica,
      Yes, they are as cute as can be. I will miss them for sure.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you have found a wonderful oncologist! You're in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear friend,,
    My father was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins lymphoma in 2010. Dr. Gian gave us hope when others gave us none. Dad is in remission and will be 85 in May. Dr. Gian is kind,caring,generous,thoughtful,and many more positive adjectives I can't think of now.
    You remain in our thoughts and prayers. Sending sunshine from Morrison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray, thank you for posting!! I have (and will continue to have) you and Rita in my prayers.
    It does sound as if you (and God) have found the right doctors!!
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Ray! Thanks for the pic - made me think of Dad and how he loved his cows! I'm praying for you and the upcoming treatments - don't think I've ever had to pray that a Tanner be able to eat more : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nora,
      Yes, you are probably right! I concluded the sale of the cows today and they will be gone in a couple of days. But it is a relief of a lot of responsibility as well.

      Delete