Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Cattle

My original intention was to buy lightweight calves in the Spring, pasture them until Fall and then sell.....and do it over again the next year. So the first year I bought some mixed breed calves from a neighbor.
I over-wintered these calves that first year, buying hay and some grain. The spring of 2011 I sold them and prices were unbelievably high, which was good! But when I looked at buying lighter weight calves for the season's grass, prices were.....yep, unbelievably high. So I was able to buy 4 Angus bred heifers from a neighbor of a friend for $1000 each (400 pound calves were selling for $700 ++) .
We name all our cattle ( a habit from my childhood on the dairy farm). These 4 heifers became Big Mama, Little Mama, Lucky and Beauty. Basically descriptive names. These heifers were supposedly due in the Fall of 2011, but in July we had our first 2 calves. The first one was Big Mama who had a reddish brown heifer who stumbled into the creek right after being born, which is where I found her, standing in over a foot of water. She was fine, although Big Mama took a couple days to figure out the mothering thing! We named the calf Annie (after Little Orphan Annie) and we kept her to add to the herd. A few days later, Litttle Mama calved with a bull calf who we named Buster. We have kept him to be the herd sire for the next few years ( a little inbreeding...no problem).
The above picture is Annie and Buster last year.
In November, at the expected time, Lucky had a heifer calf (Abby, also kept to add to the herd) and Beauty had a big bull calf, Biff, who was sold after weaning last May.
A good friend loaned me his Polled Hereford bull last winter for a few weeks and the result was Big Mama calving last month with a black white faced heifer calf (Pandy). A few days later Little Mama joined in with another BWF heifer calf (Mandy). The picture below was taken this week showing all 9 head.
Beauty and Lucky were bred by Buster and should be due next spring, followed by Annie in the summer and hopefully Abby in the fall. The plan is to keep 6 cows and the bull and market all the calves at about 6 months of age, after weaning.
Comprende ?
Thaaaat's all folks !

2 comments:

  1. I love seeing the beef cattle on your farm. We occasionally breed a cow that won't settle to an angus or hereford, and they throw the cutest calves! I must say, they're good eating too! :) Thanks for stopping by and joining my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia,
    I'm sure I will be posting often with pictures of the cattle. With my background in dairy, I have always been linked with the black-and-whites, but I do enjoy these Angus. They are a pleasure to me.
    Thanks for your interest!
    Ray

    ReplyDelete