Saturday, September 14, 2013

Chickens at Risk

  Yesterday morning this is what I saw at the chicken coop.



And this:

  
  I immediately counted noses (or beaks) and all 9 hens were accounted for.


  I was trying to figure out what the invader might be. The holes in the wire were about 36"-42" off the ground, so that rules out most smaller predators.
  I patched the holes and filled the dugout area with concrete. Last night after dark, I went out to turn on a yard light and turn the radio in the nearby shop to an all night talk station, with volume turned up. As I approached the area, a big dog lazily loped away. Looked like some kind of collie, shepherd type mix. I assume this was the culprit. This morning, all was well and no more signs of tampering.
  Don't get me started on dogs in the country! Everyone out here has dogs, many have coon dogs penned up, and they are NOISY at night. We keep the furnace fan on manual at night for background noise so we can sleep. And then there are always the dogs who roam freely at night, leaving there poopy calling cards in the yard. Less than a mile from the house is a road sign that touts the county's leash law. Yeah, right!

No comments:

Post a Comment