Friday, February 7, 2014

Feb. 7 update


    Some of you readers are likely aware of some or all of this, so please excuse me if I repeat. But I want to be sure all who have stood with us through this journey know where we have been and where we are.
 
Jan. 15 - Whipple surgery to remove tumor in pancreas plus other "parts". Cancer diagnosed as 2b and chemo/radiation/chemo to follow.
Jan. 21 - Returned home in record time and feeling good.
Jan. 24 - About midnight, developed sharp pain and tremors; ambulance ride back to Vanderbilt.
Jan 25 - On ventilator and described as "sickest patient at Vanderbilt right now".
              Septic poisoning, infection around liver
             On ventilator, dialysis, 24 IV bags, touch and go for 3-5 days
Jan 30 -  First day I really am awake enough to know what's occurring; ventilator taken out
Jan 31 - Feb 7 - Progress every day and I happily !!! Returned home Tues noon. This is Friday evening and each day shows improvement.
 
I have probably 10-15 # of retained fluid yet to deal with, but things are progressing very well. I'm sleeping in my own bed, eating Rita's cooking instead of hospital food, and I'm not chained down with tubes and wires. I can move around the house with a walker and am slowly rebuilding strength.
 
This has been an incredible journey that is absolutely a miracle of God. So many thousands of people praying, so many texts, phone calls, visits and expressions of concern. It has brought me face to face with my God, and many familiar Bible passages and hymns from the past 60+ years of my life have taken on brand new meaning. I hope to write more in the future about my spiritual journey through this.
 
Thank each one of you for all your prayers and concern. I value it greatly.
 

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure being home in your own house/bed, eating your wife's cooking is helping the healing process along! I'm thankful that you've overcome the infection and are healing from the surgery. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy you are on the "mend." The expression,"There is no place like home" has true meaning. Please keep us informed of your recovery, We are sending warm thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray,
    Great that you are home! And able to enjoy Rita's home cooking!
    Please keep us posted as you feel like it.
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ray, sure glad you are home and doing better, we have been praying.
    Don and Marjie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you! Thank you for your prayers!

      Delete